Sunday, April 18, 2010

October 21, 2008; October 2, 2008; September 28, 2008

October 21, 2008

Are you ready for some skating?

I was sitting on a patio when I realized that fall is here. That means it's time for Angelenos to pull out their coats and scarves to brave the brisk L.A. evenings, but it also signals the start of the skating season.

Fall has special relevance this year because Los Angeles is set to host the World Championships in March at Staples Center. And, with just 16 months until the Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver, Canada, the excitement in the sport is building.

The 2009 season will kick off this weekend in Everett, Wash., with Skate America, the first of a six-event Grand Prix series. Skate America is always the most watched event of the Grand Prix series because everyone is debuting their new routines.

I always try to stay busy before a big competition, as it keeps me from "over-thinking" my skating. One of the side projects I've been working on is scoping out a new designer to create an outfit for me to wear at the Olympics. Lucky for me, it's Fashion Week here, and I got a backstage look at what top designers have to offer.

I was really impressed with the Lauren Conrad collection. Her designs have an ease about them that easily could transfer to skating. Some designers that I've worn in the past include Gianfranco Ferre, Heatherette, Hedi Slimane, Issey Miyake and Alexander McQueen. I've appreciated each of their styles and learned a little bit about fashion from all of them.

On Sunday night, I cheered on the Lakers (my training mates). Their win over Toronto was great motivation for me to start off this week with a really positive attitude. Training went really well on Monday as last-minute preparations and adjustments were made to my routine and my technique. On to my friend Hannah Knowlton at John Frieda Salon for a haircut.

I feel like a million bucks, ready to take on the world's best this weekend. I will travel to Everett on Wednesday. Thursday will be spent practicing and getting used to the ice rink size and condition.

Friday night is the short program, a two-minute, 45-second sprint to incorporate eight required elements, set to the music of our choice. Saturday is the free skate, a grueling four-minute, 45-second routine that incorporates eight jump elements, three combination jumps, three spins and two footwork step sequences.

What to watch for: the quad jump. This risky four-rotation jump is usually a make-or-break in the men's event.

Written for the Los Angeles Times' The Fabulous Forum blog.


October 2, 2008

Inspired by McDonalds House kids

Yesterday, the cast of our McDonald's Family Tribute on Ice was lucky enough to spend some time at the new Ronald McDonald House in Los Angeles. We decorated cookies, participated in arts-and-crafts projects with the residents, and took a thorough tour of the property.

However, our favorite part of the visit was getting to know the kids and their families who spend anywhere from a day to a year at the Ronald McDonald House.

The facility itself is state-of-the-art, fully equipped with a screening room, game room, computer center, kitchen, cafes, parents' room, library and a beautiful aquarium. McDonald's has thought of everything to make their important guests feel at home.

The house provides a safe and comforting environment for the families to let loose, bond and forget about medical treatments for a little while.

We were able to see the kids' real personalities (kids ranged from toddlers to age 18) since they feel so at home at the House. We were so impressed with their perspective and positive attitude that we, as Olympic athletes, were inspired by their courage.

Evan Lysacek The kids really opened up and welcomes us into their in-House "family." We even got to witness some of their hidden talents: Eminarri Barber, one of the House's residents, treated us to a freestyle rap and invited us all to join in.

It was really cool to experience the vibrant personalities that live within the Ronald McDonald House (it's not just sick kids). It was a true honor to be a part of the Ronald McDonald House family, and we look forward to seeing them at the show on Friday.

Written for the Los Angeles Times' The Fabulous Forum blog.

» TOP


September 28, 2008

'An Evening of Hope' among career highlights

I'm still on such a high from yesterday's "An Evening of Hope" show.

I just wanted to quickly say thank you to everyone who helped make the event such a tremendous success. The show turned out to be more successful than I ever could have imagined when I first started putting it together. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the kind people who took part.

I have had a lot of special moments throughout my skating career but this show is truly one of the highlights. Knowing that some awesome wishes will be granted by the Make-A-Wish Foundation because of the money the show raised in my friend Stephanie Joseph's name is an indescribable feeling.

Stephanie had such a contagious personality. Even when we were no longer skating together, and life had taken us different places, she was always there for me. I feel like I am a better person because of her. And I think everyone who had a part in the show can say the same thing even if they never met her.

The show could not have been possible without the generous donations of the sponsors: J. M. Smuckers Co., Pheasant Run Resort, Fox Valley Ice Arena, Paul Mitchell, Coca-Cola, The Skate School, Tiffany & Co., DuPage Figure Skating Club, Disson Skating, Total Gym, Skokie Park District, Fusion Marketing Power, Eli's Cheesecake, Standard Register, IMG, Heineken, BP, NorthStar Credit Union and Bob Anderson of "The Pioneer Fund of Denver".

Thank you again (I really can never say that enough) to everyone who came out to "An Evening of Hope" and everyone who supported the show from home, making a donation or just spreading the word. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to share a little bit about Stephanie with all of you.

It was fun to meet everyone after the show too. I still have a bunch of events on my plate this season so hopefully "An Evening of Hope" is not the last time that I will run into you guys.

Now that the show is over, and I have had a little bit of fun at home in Chicago, I am heading back to Los Angeles to get in some more training before Skate America and Skate Canada. I will also be performing at McDonald's® Family Tribute On Ice on Saturday in L.A.

Enjoy the rest of the off-season.

I am excited to show you what I have been up to.


No comments:

Post a Comment